Monday 24 October 2016

This is Halloween! Halloween! Halloween...

Halloween Decorations
7 Day How-to-Guide for Celebrating Halloween - photo credit PublicDomainPictures

Halloween has always been one of my favourite times of the year -  I really do love any opportunity to celebrate! I remember my first Halloween like it was yesterday - my teenage aunt persuaded me into dressing up as a mummy for her school's annual Halloween parade. I was about 5 at the time and remember being devastated that I had to walk around in JUST bandages. I think I would be pretty gutted if anyone expected me to do that these days too.

Thankfully, I wasn't scared off after that; and I still love dressing up - albeit my costumes are a lot more 'conventional' and are generally shop bought now. And these days, this mummy likes being a witch (usually only for Halloween).

As it is only 7 days until Halloween - I thought it would be fun to do a little how-to-guide for celebrating a truly SPOOKY Halloween. 

The reason that our family loves Halloween is because it is a fun evening for us to dress up, have a party with some friends and it is the one day in the year that my children are allowed to go a little sugar crazy!

Did you know? Halloween is believed to have originated from British and Irish pagan Harvest Festivals. These festivals were then made Christian by dedicating the celebration to saints, martyrs and dearly beloved passed members of the community. Halloween is derived from the Holy Eve, the night that precedes All Saints Day. Saints are also often referred to as Hallows. The Scottish people refer to the night before All Saints Day as Allhallow-even (the Eve of All Saints) and this is believed to have been shortened to just Halloween.  

I hope that you will join me for the next 7 days of my Halloween preparations. 

See you tomorrow! 

Kalli x

No comments:

Post a Comment