Thursday 27 October 2016

This is Halloween... Part 4. Let's play Dress-Up!

I was in +Sainsbury's today, buying more pumpkins (as you do - you can never have too many); and while I was in there I noticed that they were having their 25% sale on clothing including Halloween costumes. I tried to buy my boys new costumes but they are really adamant on what they are dressing as this year. D wants to be Kylo Ren AGAIN and A wants to go as Marshall from Paw Patrol. So alas, we didn't buy any new costumes but I thought it was worth mentioning the sale to others. You can also still get costumes with delivery this weekend on their website.

Our family love any excuse for a dress up; which is, I think, why we all love Halloween so much. We usually take a long time to decide what we are going to go as and very often our costumes do not go to plan; and sometimes our outfits end up being thrown together very last minute. 

A few years ago, we decided that we were going to go as a family of skeletons. D was 4 and had a skeleton onesie, hubby had found some scary skeleton man costume at a local supermarket, and I (7 months pregnant and unable to find any costumes that would fit) decided to paint an old black t-shirt to look like a pregnant skeleton. A last minute 'brilliant idea'. It wasn't my best artwork but everyone loved it; and it was a sweet way to incorporate A before he was born. 

Pregnant Skeleton - please excuse the quality

Looking through Halloween costumes made me realise that I haven't even thought about my costume yet (typical) - so when I got home I decided to try out some quick 'last minute' make up ideas. While I enjoyed trying these out (I think my children think that I am crazy), I am quite keen to try a Pop Art photo that I saw a while ago (on +Pinterest, I think. Obviously). Will post a photo after Halloween if I do end up doing the Pop Art idea. 

Last Minute Halloween Ideas - Day of the Dead, a Witch, Creepy Ragdoll; and of course, the lady of the hour, Harley Quinn.

Other last minute costume ideas that you could try at home:

  • A Mummy - either a sleep deprived, child-bearing one or an Egyptian one. For the Egyptian one you just need bandages or long strips of white material or toilet paper (but I wouldn't suggest going out like that, especially if you are based in the UK. Rainy days, and all that). 
  • An Old-School Ghost - white sheet, holes for your eyes. I still love this idea. 
  • Zombie - dirty, messy clothing and scary make up. 
  • Where's Wally/ Wanda - Blue trousers/ skirt and a stripy red and white top. A white/ red beanie would be great too. And of course, reading glasses. 
  • A Pirate - Torn jeans, an old smart shirt (possibly cut or torn), lots of bling, maybe a black tooth and a bottle of rum (or really any alcohol).
  • Bride of Frankenstein - hair pulled up into a bun, pale make up with drawn on 'stitches' and a black smart dress. 

Did you know? People used to believe that if they dressed up as ghosts on Halloween, they would become hidden among the dead and wouldn't be noticed. 

Only four more sleeps until Halloween - yippee! See you tomorrow for more fun! 

Kalli x



No comments:

Post a Comment