Wednesday 20 March 2013

Book Review: The Secret Mandarin by Sara Sheridan

My husband, my son and I absolutely love reading. We have more books in our house than I think most normal people do, but we just cannot stop ourselves from buying more. I have so many favourite books that I thought it would be nice to add a new element to my blog - a monthly book review.

One of my absolute favourite books of all times is The Secret Mandarin by Sara Sheridan. I spotted this book in our local supermarket a year ago, and was instantly drawn in by the beautiful cover. I had to know what it was about - and I am so glad that I did. 

The Secret Mandarin is an exquisitely written 'faction' story of actress Mary Penney and her botanist brother-in-law Robert Fortune's journey to collect tea plants from China. A journey thwarted with social and cultural boundaries, and some very gruelling challenges. 

From the beginning of the book, I was captivated. I have always had a love of history, but was not very good with dates, so my escape to the beauty of the old world has always come in the form of historical based novels. I really appreciated the botanical aspect of the book and I found myself constantly desperate for more information. Sheridan's writing kept my craving well satiated, and it sometimes felt like we were in constant 'conversation'. I have since followed her on Facebook and Twitter, and am now very aware of just how important extensive research is for her, when she is writing a book.

From the sad cold beginning in England to the beautiful picturesque descriptions of the Chinese countryside - I was transported through the book with excitement, anxiety and exhilaration  I longed for their safety and wished for their happiness. I enjoyed every page of the journey, and was devastated when I reached the final line of the book. 

The Secret Mandarin has a very special place on my bookshelf - and has been recommended to many of my friends. I look forward to reading more books by this exceptional writer.

**If you want to keep updated, please join my mailing list; follow me on Pinterest; follow my Facebook Page or follow me on Twitter.**

2 comments:

  1. Oh that's lovely to hear. I love writing but most of all when readers appreciate what I've written. Thank you. Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After writing this, I'd quite like to escape into the world of The Secret Mandarin again. :)

      Delete