Tuesday 29 May 2012

South African Food Company

I am a very lucky kid - I was fortunate enough to be chosen as a gourmet taster for The South African Food Co. It is a new company based in the UK, that creates delicious home-cooked South African favourites.

When you leave your home country, you know that you will miss your family and friends, and that you'll miss some of your favourite places and sights, but you hardly ever realise just how much you will miss the local food.

This came as quite a shock to me, when we moved to Malta and I had NO South African ex-pat shops or any 'normal' products. I even got quite excited when I found randomly imported products from South Africa, like Sunlight's Green bar soap (for pre-washing clothes).

However since we have moved to the UK, I have been very fortunate in that I have quite an array of South African products to chose from. 

That said, the South African Food Co has now become a very firm favourite in our house. We received Tamatiebredie (pronounced Ta-ma-tee-brie-dee) which is somewhat like a stew, but a trillion times tastier! It has lamb, potatoes, spices, tomatoes and peppers, all infused in a rich creamy sauce. 

One thing I loved about this portion (great for two large plates), was how much lamb  there was in the meal. I could not believe it. Most of the time, a ready meal has loads of cream and a sprinkling of meat. It was quick and easy to prepare, and when I took it out of the oven I nearly melted into the oven dish, it smelled soooooo delicious. And tasted amazing too.

I definitely think that we will need a few of these yummy meals in our freezer, for when I am feeling a little homesick! Truly, an ex-pats dream...




No comments:

Post a Comment