Thursday 7 February 2013

Battling the Bulge

Photo credit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/helga/3249036871/

























I have always been pretty average, in terms of my weight. I have had some very skinny phases and some slightly chubbier phases. I have always been quite sporty - at school I played hockey, tennis, girls cricket, girls soccer, did swimming, surfed with my sister, played squash and went to gym a few times a week; and then did dancing three times a week and went to gym at University.

After having my son, I lost my pregnancy weight rather quickly, as I got married when my son was 9 months old (we wanted to wait). Every girl wants to look her absolute BEST on her wedding day - and so I had loads of motivation to lose all the weight. A few months later, we moved to Malta - where our diet consisted of mainly breads and pastas; and while we were walking a lot more than in South Africa, I still put on a lot of weight. I have tried dieting on and off for the past two years, but just wasn't motivated enough.

That was until December 2012. I saw a photo of myself, and was shocked at how much weight I had put on. I was always tired, had a short temper, was sad and would indulge in junk food more often than is healthy. I was also the heaviest I have ever been.

On New Years, I decided that I WOULD cut down my portion sizes, eat less carbs, drink more water, eat healthier, eat more fruit and vegetables, and exercise. I know that I do not do well with diets - as the restrictive nature of the makes me feel like I am starving myself. I eat in moderation now - so if I want to eat something; I have a taste, instead of eating it all.

On the 7th January (I was seriously sick until then) - I actively started 'changing my lifestyle' (not dieting). :) I am now down 5.5kgs (12.12lbs), have dropped a dress size and I am feeling much more energetic and happy. I have been exercising every other day, for two weeks now. I do 15 minutes jogging on the treadmill, followed by 20 minutes yoga or 20 minutes pilates/yoga/abs/weights routine.

I cannot believe how little changes and a different mindset have changed so much in my life, and that I am now actively on my way to my goal weight.

WOOHOOO...


No comments:

Post a Comment