Monday 28 January 2013

Superhero Surprise Party

On Saturday, it was my husband's 30th birthday - so I decided, as he was being a party grinch, that I would throw him a surprise party (throwing a surprise party for your partner is the hardest thing in the world).

I had so many fantastic ideas - but alas, could not pull them all off, what with me having to hide everything around the house, so that he was not suspicious. I decided a 'snacks and cake' party was the best idea, as I wouldn't need to prepare too much food before the party started.

So here was what I did...

My husband is a comic man - he loves his superheroes. So I decided on a vintage 'pop art' comic book party. And was really lucky when I found all the bits and pieces on the Party Pieces website. 

I got napkins, popcorn boxes and photo booth signs (which were a huge hit with our friends). I cut out buildings from black card, and cut little windows out of double sided tape. 


I used red felt and cut mini capes, for the beer bottles. And had ordered test tube shooter glasses from Amazon. I wanted to do signs for the snacks, and just do everything better, but was very restricted for time. (I had 30mins to put all the food and decorations out, between my husband going out to the shop, and everyone arriving). 

I am lucky that my son will no doubt have a superhero party at some stage, and I will be able to pull out all my superhero inspiration for that party. 

I got inspiration for my Batman cake from Rose Bakes. She made a stunning Superman Explosion Cake - that I attempted. Thankfully - it was just close friends and family, who were not too judgemental of my horrible fondant skills. :) 

It tasted good though, so I was not too perturbed. I made a moist chocolate sponge, and chocolate butter cream. And to be fair, I don't even like the taste of fondant, so ended up just eating the chocolate cake and butter cream.

The last thing I wanted to do was to make superhero capes (likes the ones at Sew Scrumptious) and masks for all the kids, who came with their parents. Unfortunately, my sewing machine was not playing nice - so I hand-sewed one cape, and decided that the other fabric will have to be used for the next superhero party. 

All in all, even though I am quite devastated that I had so many great ideas and not enough time or sneakiness to achieve them all, the party was a huge success. The birthday boy was surprised and he had a very special 30th!

Cheers, Kalli x


No comments:

Post a Comment